Original Lithograph HC
The Pierre Matisse Gallery in coordination with Maeght Editor published this extraordinary lithograph. The Pierre Matisse Gallery: Pierre Matisse (1900–1989) began his career as a dealer in 1923 at the Galerie Barbazanges-Hodebert in Paris. He first came to New York in December 1924, where he was introduced to the local art world by the artist, critic, and art historian Walter Pach. In November 1931 Matisse opened his own establishment in the Fuller Building at 41 East 57th Street with a group show that featured European modernists, including Georges Braque, André Derain, Raoul Dufy, Jean Lurçat, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Georges Rouault, Joan Miró and Henri Rousseau. The gallery grew in prestige over the next five decades, mounting numerous important exhibitions, including Artists in Exile (March 3–28, 1942), which brought together fourteen prominent European artists who were living in exile in New York as a result of World War II. Among them were Fernand Léger, Jacques Lipchitz, and Amédée Ozenfant.
Title: Original Lithograph HC
Image size: 21” x 17”
Signature: Signed in white crayon by Miro